Thursday, February 08, 2007

Chocolate Macadamia-Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

I really enjoy the luxury of baking with nuts. I've used many types in cookies and cakes but one nut that has never seen my kitchen is the macadamia. This valuable nut does not come cheap or low in monosaturated fat. I bought some and found their taste to be similar to a water chestnut - very crunchy and clean. I decided to try out a recipe using these opaque white orbs because sometimes when I'm at Subway (and no one is looking) I pick up one of their white chocolate macadamia cookies. Something had to be done.

The recipe I used came from The Good Cookie and was created by Andrew Garrison Shotts, a former pastry chef of the Russian Tea Room. The dough is rich and creamy and just when you think you're done, macadamia nuts, peanut butter chips and chopped bittersweet chocolate are added to the mix. What you end up with is a satisfying chunky batter that turns into lovely flavourful cookies.

One thing about these cookies that is a little different is that they're bigger. You have to use a 1/4 cup measure or cookie scoop to dish out the dough. This makes each cookie very substantial so having a glass of milk nearby is a good idea. One suggestion that came from my son was to make them 'regular' cookie size next time. Also, the macadamia nuts were not a hit with the kids. I kept finding discarded nuts on the table so I ate them making a note to use walnuts or pecans next time. Overall the cookies were yummy and I'd bake them again making the mentioned changes though I'm glad I used the macadamia nuts this time. They're easy to work with and tasty too!

Recipe: Chocolate Macadamia-Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had seen this earlier. I was looking for something to make with my peanut butter chips!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Macadamias are so tasty, I love them!

These cookies are superb, so many delicious flavors together, I wish I'd find peanut butter chips here in Brazil!

folding gate said...

Thanks for shariing