Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Barb's Peanut Butter Squares

I think I may have to buy Great Canadian Cookies, Bars & Squares because its filled with great recipes. Take these bars for instance. Barb's Peanut Butter Squares are fantastic. They combine peanut butter and chcolate in one easy to make, old fashioned treat that never goes out of style.

First, you have to make a oatmeal cookie dough and a creamy peanut butter mixture. The peanut butter is layered between the oatmeal dough but not before a generous sprinkling of chocolate chips is added. This is then baked up into chewy golden squares that are homey, satisfying and perfect when you're craving something sweet, but not too sweet. The overall bar is very tasty. I used large flake oats so the oatmeal is very pronounced in every bite and I also used natural peanut butter which worked just fine in the peanut butter layer.

I would definitely make these bars again even though they are a bit more time consuming than regular peanut butter cookies. It takes time to press everything into place and your fingers will get messy! They are very totable and kid-friendly provided no one has a peanut allergy. Try them out!

Recipe: Barb's Peanut Butter Squares

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anything with peanut butter and chocolate gets my attention like nothing else. They're lovely!

RC said...

These look delicious! I wish I was there to have some!

Canadian Baker said...

Ivonne - Thanks so much. :)

Redcat - I wish you were here to have some too!! :)

jasmine said...

They look wonderful. I think I may have to find this book for myself too :)

j

tanvi said...

I think I am salivating. This is like a perfect combo of oatmeal, chocolate chip, and peanut butter cookies! Thank you for sharing this tremendous recipe!

Canadian Baker said...

Jasmine - Thank you! The book is neat because there is a story behind every recipe, some of which date back to the Depression!

Tanvi - Thank you for stopping by and for your nice comment. :)

Sara said...

wow, do those ever look fantastic. that cookbook sounds like a good one to own.

Canadian Baker said...

Sara - I'm with you there - next time I'm at Chapters I may have to pick up a copy. :)

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter, chocolate, oatmeal ... Mmm, it sounds like a superb combination of flavours and textures. I like that you can use natural peanut butter in these, which means that -- yay! -- they're almost healthy!