Thursday, April 27, 2006

Mango Mousse

When I was younger I didn't like mangoes. They never appealed to me and, to be honest, I wasn't much of a fruit lover. My mom would happily slice off pieces of the orange flesh and offer them to me and I always turned my nose up and said no thanks. She'd shrug her shoulders probably wondering why I didn't love the fruit that made her so happy.

Years later I have come to appreciate the mango. The smell is no longer off-putting and I will sometimes voluntarily nibble on a piece. I received some from a friend last week and had to do something with them as they were getting soft. The thought of mango muffins, cake or bread were not really appealing so I looked around and found an easy recipe for mango mousse.

The pale peach mousse does not have any gelatin in it so it is suitable for vegetarians. It consists of pureed mango mixed with some orange juice, sugar and lemon juice. This is then folded into whipped cream to create a light creamy dessert that looks impressive served in individual dishes with a dollop of whipped cream and a mint sprig. The texture is smooth and light and does not have the mousse-y mouthfeel as a gelatin-set mousse. The mousse has a lovely distinct mango flavour and is not overly sweet - perfect after a heavy meal or a barbeque.

Click here for the recipe!

No comments: